Sens and surrounding area
Culturally, if not administratively, the city marks the point where Burgundy met the Royal Estate and Champagne.
- The Early Gothic cathedral of St-Stephen dates back to the 12th century.
The former archbishops' palace houses the museum and the treasury, one of the two richest collections displayed in France.
- The château de Fleurigny: a medieval fortress transformed into an elegant Renaissance castle during the 16C. Beautiful chapel attributed to Jean Cousin.
- Pont-sur-Yonne : church (12C-13C).
- Vallery : château (13C-16C), church of Saint-Thomas de Cantorbéry, famous mausoleum of Henri II de Condé by Gilles Guérin ;
- Vauluisant , former Cistercian abbey (13C-16C) ;
- Villeneuve-sur-Yonne : keeps its original medieval grid layout of streets between two 13C gates. The Renaissance façade of the church masks the elegant 14C-15C nave and 13C choir;